Monday, October 08, 2007

OMG, I Have Become My Mother

Throughout this life, my mom has been my hero, my mentor, my role model to follow as an example as the woman I have most wanted to be like. We have always called her "Miss Stewart County High School" because simply put - she was. Valedictorian, President of the Beta Club, Captain of the Cheerleaders, Editor of the school yearbook and columnist in the local newspaper, were all titles attached to our mother's name. Andy Holt himself promised her a four-year scholarship to the University of Tennessee when he witnessed her commencement speech that she recited from memory.

It's an understatement to say how proud she made her parents. Another still to her three daughters and how it felt to grow up with an academic "rock star mom" who was not only brilliant, but fun and beautiful and strong. Upon "going into town" while visiting our grandparents, her former classmates would stop us on the streets, introduce themselves and say "I went to school with your mother... I'm (fill in the blank) and we had so much fun together, she was so smart, she helped me so much." To hear them speak of her impact on their lives, you would have thought she was the first woman to orbit in space.


The wonderful thing about our mom is that not only did she cheer on the Stewart Co. Rebels, but she was personal cheerleader, advice lender, and a positive reinforcement to everyone she knew, especially her three daughters and now her granddaughter. As her children, we blessedly were the direct recipients of these accolades. She has always looked for the best in people, never allowed us to gossip and always stressed to us to be the bigger person, to take the high road in life.

Words cannot even speak of the sacrifices she made for us before and after our father left - but she she took the high road, did not become bitter, remained beautiful, fun and entered the workforce. She excelled at every position she accepted. She never met a pair of high heels she didn't like. She met the career of her dreams when she became a real estate agent. It was the perfect fit for her positive personality, her intelligence and her cheerleader personality. We began calling her cyber-mom when her prowess on the computer became evident.


After Granddaddy died, her sweet mother remained at home growing even prouder and even getting our mom a few real estate clients. When I got married, it was she who walked me down the aisle.

What I'm trying to say in this post but taking too long to get there is that I understand now and am trying to be forgiving when the cheerleader has a bad day. Always expecting her to be the positive one and cheer us on her way, it's hard for me when she is down. But I have to say now in light of being a divorced mother myself and forging onward each and every day for my daughter, I'll change places with you mom and give you a break. It's okay to have a bad day, a bad week, a bad month even, I will not give you the "pep talk". Mainly because I tried and it didn't work.

My sweet grandmother can no longer be the proud anchor for my mom that she once was so we try to fill her shoes not as a mother, but daughter anchors. I hope she'll use us and let us be her cheerleader for once.

No comments: