Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pop Fly

Had to share this proud parental moment: Katie had a softball game Tuesday night - I was there for the first 30 minutes of the game and had to leave for class. While in class, I noted on my cell phone's caller ID that my Mom called me three times, afraid it might be an emergency with Katie or Grandmother, I frantically dialed her; however, when she answered she shared with me the sweetest news ... .

During the last inning of the game, Katie went up for a pop fly and came down with the ball! Not only that it ended the game preventing the other team from winning!!! It was her first catch like that. EVER! Mom said the look on her face was priceless. Everyone on the field hugged her and the parents in the stands went crazy! The coaches gave her the game ball (HUGE, HUGE, BIG DEAL TO KIDS).

It was such a great moment for her - so I was extremely proud - but felt terrible for missing it!!!!! I called my mom again on the drive home and told her how conflicted I felt: so proud for her and awful for missing it. Mom reminded that of course there will be many more games and other clutch plays - she also reminded me of the many things I do to keep her safe and happy. I thanked her for being there for Katie that night and sharing in the excitement. I also silently reflected to myself - I learned all these things from my mom. Sure, I'll be front row center at the dance recitals, kindergarden graduations and school productions, but these small unexpected moments in life are just as important and special as the major milestones.

I went to pick her up at my sister's after class and she was fast asleep. I stood in the doorway and realized that this was my special moment as her mom - the quiet moments that can never be replaced - knowing your child is safe and healthy - all alone to absorb it and so thankful she had the opportunity to have that experience.

I melted when I looked in her sleeping.The game ball was lying on the pillow right next to her.

No comments: