Thursday, December 05, 2013

#26acts


Last Christmas, Katie and I participated in the #26acts of kindness movement to honor the lives lost at Sandy Hook Elementary. I quickly learned that with every thing I put out in the universe in this effort- it came back to me quickly tenfold... it was astonishing. I also realized that these were things I shouldn't have to look for to create and make an effort to do each day, but rather I should be kind anyway.   I found my true meaning of Christmas last season, it made the entire holiday so much more poignant for me.  However, present with each act I committed, was the solemn thought that each kindness we committed was in the name of an innocent child and brave school teacher whose candle had been blown out.  

With this in mind, I tried really hard to make the acts meaningful and creative - one was giving Katie 26 reasons why I love her. Her 26 reason response back brought me to tears. Her words were the sweetest gifts. I will cherish her  heartfelt and funny list for the rest of my life. Last year, we bought tacos for the car behind us in honor of Noah, the little boy who wanted to own a taco factory. We sponsored a monthly riding lesson for one child for the past year for Saddle Up, we sent a contribution to the LCC Comfort Dogs, we baked treats for the caregivers at Grace Healthcare where my Grandmother was a resident, delivered hot chocolate to the security guard in the booth at VU on a cold, blustery day, donated to Living Waters for the World, put a surprise present in someone's mailbox (the next morning someone had put a surprise in ours), put flowers on someone's desk who was struggling, wrote a letter to teacher who had an impact on my life, wrote a letter to a family member who I haven't spoken to in quite some time and so on. 

With each act, my adult cynicism (read Grinch lonely heart) melted a little. With each surprise kindness sent my way, I marveled at the full circle that a simple kindness had taken and found it's way back to me.  For my efforts, my eyes opened a little, the emotions I discovered were pretty raw and humbling.  I discovered that it really wasn't about committing #26acts, it was not only fun but really was about love, actually. 


Last night I gave Katie "26 More Reasons Why I Love Her" and when I went to bed, I found her list on my pillow. A new tradition, I will treasure always - to pause and tell the one person on this earth who means the most to me, how special she is, how much fun we have and all the things I love about her.  

Feel free to join me, in looking in the small but quiet ways you can do something nice for someone, or even an organization, not just during this Christmas season but everyday.  The day after Thanksgiving was Black Friday, the following Cyber Monday and finally Giving Tuesday, shouldn't every day be a Day of Giving?  I'm blessed to be surrounded by the countless people in my life who commit #26acts selflessly everyday without even trying.  Their giving impacts me, my daughter and so many people who don't even realize it. 
 

No comments: