Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Coming Down the Mountain

A year ago today, I marked a spectacular item off of my bucket list.  Katie and I, along with our close friends (and experienced hikers) Randall, Jordan, Janna and Lane, hiked up the Rainbow Falls trail to Mt. LeConte in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. It was something I wanted to do since college, but never found the time to do it.  I realize now, that I was meant to complete this journey with Katie.  And I'm so glad I did. I think as close as we are, we both learned new things about each other.  I know we were both proud of each others role in completing the climb. 

As I walked and hiked in the months ahead of time, I only focused on the climb up... I never thought about the climb down.  Isn't that the way with most goals?  We only think about reaching them...we don't think about what we will do past that?  If you would have told me ahead of time, that the climb down was the hard part, I would have not believed you.  Believe me, the hike up was difficult.  It also, however, was one of the most beautiful days of my life. 

Beautiful snow, cloaked in fog, the climb up was all I thought it would be. Looking for each milestone that told us how much longer we had to go, reaching deep into the perseverance to keep moving forward.  Many times on the way up, Lane, following behind me would reach up and lift up my pack so I could get a sturdy step up the next rock.  I had to smile, she was giving me a hand up ... from BEHIND!  Since Randall had hiked ahead with Katie and Jordan, Janna spent her time hiking ahead to check on them and then doubling back - being the scout for both groups - we wanted the girls to get to the top as quick as they could - while Lane was as patient with me as you would be an elderly pet - and I mean that in the MOST loving way ... she was patient and kind ...

 to watch them both on the trail was amazing... they individually were like one with the mountain. Janna was quietly taking breathtaking pictures of snow covered flora and fauna and Lane so quiet and so natural - they were like part of the experience - so natural so knowing and so patient...

On the way up, Janna and Lane told me stories - Janna talked more than she ever has in the history of our friendship, keeping my mind occupied and distracted so I wouldn't think about how hard I was breathing or how much further we had yet to climb.   we did have quiet time and my thoughts were filled with the great creation I was walking through - no thoughts of money, worries or work filtered through - it would have been hard. when you are in the middle of such beauty and earth bound.. it was easy to

The way down was easy - till we got halfway down - Janna told me to make sure I planted my feet - so with each step I carefully planted.  I would stump my toe... but I never fell.  The trip down was filled with every good and bad metaphor about life's obstacles, stumbling blocks, hurdles, picking yourself up after you fall, and the worst hitting rock bottom.  I physically did all of that on that climb down - my feet felt like bricks - it grew dark - we hiked out with our head lamps - and again - janna the scout - went ahead to make sure the girls were safe and warm and to get Randall to come back and get us out.  Lane - again with her quiet footfalls her patient love and friendship - wouldn't let me succumb - she would hike ahead and assess and come back and check on me - never once making me feel like I was failing - much like our entire friendship - quietly encouraging, supportive and lighting my path while helping me find my own way.  Every time - I felt like I couldn't take another step - when I quasi hallucinated and shared that we were closer to the trail head than we actually were - she pacified me - A MILE never felt so long - then the last mile was upon us.  the finish line to my long dreamed up bucket list crossed off my list - the mile euphemisms flooded in - walk a mile in my shoes -going the extra mile, 8 MILE, walk a mile change your life style ... I was laughing to myself at the inner dialogue - and I wondered if Lane thought I was hallucinating!

No comments: