Friday, January 21, 2011

Pic Challenge - A picture of you and the person you have been closest with the longest

We met in the 9th grade Economics clas of Coach Mel Brown - two band buddies - on the outer tier of Jock Hall. We studied stocks, sold lollipops for the baseball team and wrote the best advertising copy assignment. Coach Brown was so proud of it - we had to do our commercial over and over again for any teacher that walked down the hall.

It was an instant connection of like minds and teenagers chasing dreams. What sparked that day when we were 14 - has led to our still going strong 30 year friendship. We would bond over the years through colorguard, heartbreaks and heartaches, rolling on Friday nights, going off to college, and driving by crushes houses in the dark of night. And even tho I call her KB, she will always be Kris Trolinger to me.

At that time none of my other friends parents had divorced, but Kris'. We stood up for each other when we got married and I begged her not to get divorced. I thought she had been so happy. When my marriage started falling apart - I finally understood her quiet pain.

There is something about the comfort of the friend who knew you as a girl you were at 14, 16, 18, 20 - because I still feel like I am that girl. Sometimes I want that girl back. When you are with the friend that remembers who you were then - you become that girl again for a little while. You can say one boys name and start blushing again and she knows why instantly and it makes you smile.

Today we bond over our love (and worry) for our kids, Colin Firth and all things Real Housewives and Jane Austen.

I haven't driven by a potential crush's house in a long time... but if I did - I would want Kris to be in the front seat next to me.

About this photo ... it was taken during Summer Lights Festival in downtown Nashville circa Summer 1988 maybe. We were both finally able to legally drink and drink that night we did. I was home from a weekend from school and we were with one of both of our longtime crushes "the Bonfire" whom Kris later married.

2 comments:

Krissyt67 said...

AWESOME!!! I absolutely love the part about how being with me takes you back. I feel the same way. Pain goes away. Love you and I'm so proud of the mother you are to KK.

TD#3 said...

how did I just read this... pain goes away- but sometimes it comes back to visit...